On line entries are available this year, please use the link: https://www.assistexpo.ca/renfrewfair
- Women’s Institute entries close on August 12, 2023. Each branch must pay a membership of $10.00, send a completed entry form and notify the General Manager of the Renfrew Agricultural Society, 115 Veterans Memorial Blvd., Renfrew, Ont, K7V 2R5 by this date. No late entries will be accepted.
- All work to be done by an active member of the W.I. branch exhibiting. All work must be new and not shown previously at Renfrew Fair.
- Each W.I. will arrange their display Wednesday September 6, 2023 between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., in readiness for judging Thursday, September 7, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.. Security will be provided for Wednesday night. One committee member is willing to assist at least one branch member to put up their display if they are physically unable. Branches must indicate on their entry form if assistance is required.
- Exhibits to be arranged as a W.I. display with mark of identification of Theme and branch name. NOTE: The name of the branch may be put up before judging to save time and confusion but must be concealed during judging.
- No W.I. will be permitted to enter in open classes.
- The Fair Committee will display a card in front of each exhibit showing which NINE of the fifteen sections listed are to be judged along with the branch name.
- The items this year will receive placing according to judge’s decisions following the Homecraft Judging Standards Book of 1st – 5th. Only one I. member is allowed to stay to bring articles to the judge’s table and must be present at the display by 8:45 a.m.
- Two members of each exhibiting branch are required to dismantle the display at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, September 10, 2023.
- No articles may be advertised for sale. No kits to be used, unless permitted.
- “Best Display” will be judged before commencement of individual article judging.
- For each display, the Renfrew Agricultural Society will award $25.00 and the Balsam Hill Women’s Institute will award $5.00.
- Only articles meeting exact criteria will be judged. Items that are not the correct size or do not adhere to section or theme will not be judged.
Prize Money: 1st – $5.00; 2nd – $4.50; 3rd – $4.00; 4th – $3.50; 5th – $3.00
Theme: “AUTUMN’S ARRIVAL”
- Composed song verses (no more than 3) containing the meaning of WI workings, to the tune of “This Land is Your Land”. On unlined paper and handwritten, mounted using WI colours. (BN)
- One homemade Pillowcase in WI colours. No larger than 18”x18”, can be stuffed or not, must include samples of materials used. (may be quilted, pieced, applique, tie dye etc., use your imagination) (BN)
- Create a Jack-o-Lantern: your choice of materials eg. paper mache wood etc.
- Floral Table Centerpiece: real flowers, max 6” high x 12” long
- Scrapbook page: A Day at the Fair 12” x 12” in a protective covering
- Tree Leaf Collection: minimum 5, pressed and named on ½ sheet of Bristol board, (any colour)
- An arrangement of grasses, “wild” flowers, cattails etc. suitable for hall or entry table.
- A “WELCOME” sign for outdoor use that would be used in your home’s autumn display.
- Twig Art: max 12” x 12”, mounted, framed
- Quilt Block “Flying Geese” 12 ½” x 12 ½” unfinished edge (includes ¼” seam allowance) , mounted so that the inside can be easily seen
- Lap Blanket: knitted minimum 36” x 40” SMA
- Bread and Butter Pickles: 250 ml preserving jar
- Salsa: 250 ml preserving jar with a decorative recipe included (but not judged)
- 3 Pumpkin Spice Muffins on a plate in a ziplock bag. (BN)
- 5 Ginger Cookies on a plate in a ziplock bag.
Reference – Homecraft Judging Standard Book
DONORS TO WOMEN’S INSTITUTE CLASSES
Mary MacGregor Memorial Award – will be awarded to the branch with the highest number of 1st place placings.
Burnstown Women’s Institute – For the display which adheres most closely to the theme. 1st – $15.00; 2nd – $10.00; 3rd – $5.00
Glasgow Women’s Institute – $30.00 – will be split between institutes exhibiting